Well I have been in Matagalpa, Nicaragua for about 5 weeks now. It took a little while to meet the local ESL employers & decide who i prefered to work with. I settled on a very relaxed school that allows me complete control over my lesson choices. So I am really having fun teaching nights Mon.-Fri. and 5 hours on Sat.The students have given very positive feedback that they enjoy my lessons etc. I have a total of 27 students- mainly young adults 18-28. They are very motivated & fun, which makes up a little for the really lousy pay. I am hoping that this first ESL teaching experience in many years will make my next job easy to get & better paying.
The semester ends here the end of Nov. Little did i know they take their "summer" break for 2 months. So I will go to a similar highlands area in Panama in December. Its a cooler Mountain region very beautful also. If i do not get a job starting next semester there I have job offers here & hopefully can return here to do a full semester.
I go somewhere solo or w/ friends every Sunday. Its been fun to see so many different spots always taking the "chicken buses". its not my choice but if its the only way to get somewhere thats how i go. (they don't usually carry chickens). They tend to be noisy & crowded so i am beginning to think the chickens might be referring to the passengers. I am including some pics from Selva Negra my favorite place close by. Whole Foods sells their coffee. It is an awesomely beautiful place. Part exclusive resort, part eco preserve that is quite huge & does have lots of wild animals & birds. I love the hiking trails there. The hard to see seated guy in the pics was a student who took me on a hike thru there. He introduced me to the owner. She said she'd like to hire me next year to homeschool her 3 grandkids A.M. & teach some of the over 200 employees who work w/ the tourists ESL. I can not think of a more idyllic place to live & work. We will see where she & I are at next Fall. It is amazing the interesting Nicas, tourists, & expats i meet. You never know who you will be meeting next. A few of the expat older guys I have met I would put in the dubious catagory. Kind of wonder how they earn their money & who is backing them. Well enough for now. Anyone of you who wants to visit S. Nicaragua, S. Costa Rica, or Panama the first 2 weeks of Dec. let me know. Its always fun to share the fun. My planned travel partner can not go so i am available. Till next time, ENJOY LIFE. peace, helen
No comments:
Post a Comment