Well this week has definitely been the downside of traveling. I had planned to leave on Monday or Tuesday. Fortunately an inportant package arrived. It was definitely OK to leave now. Except some interesting Americans staying at my hotel invited me to go with them to Esteli another mountain town I had not had a chance to explore. So off I went with them Tuesday afternoon. We had a great time but I had fallen about a week prior. SoI could not hike as I wanted to a neat waterfall area with Alan the intrepid hiker from ---Boulder. A very small world. Came back the next day, promptly got a stomach bug. Took 2 days to get better. Luckily travelers tend to help each other. A very kind Brit staying at my hotel went and got me some medicine. The chiropractic appointment I had booked days before fell through. Quite common for appointments booked more than 1 day in advance. I was told in Spanish, which I am improving at, he was Shy? No other chiros in town. I was amazed. My Nica friends could not get a bead on one for me either. I decided wherever i teach next semester, the town has to have a good chiropractor. So by Friday at least my tummy is better, so I book a ticket on an Express to San Jose, Costa Rica. Also booked the night in San Jose, and the following night in David, Panama. There was about a half day involved doing all this. Except for the music nothing seems to happen fast in Nica.
Off early Saturday for a town close by to catch the express super deluxe, suppose to be hassle free, 9 hour trip. Except this bus, from the best line recommended online etc, never came. I waited at a dusty bus stop for almost 2 hours. Back to Matagalpa and my travel agent. He calls the bus line and lo the bus broke down and was still not running. There was not another bus till the next day. It was definitely one of the worse travel days of my life. I did get the ticket reissued for the next day from Managua which I had been avoiding traveling thru due to safety and theft issues they tend to have. I finally went to a nice restaurant to eat and have a drink. I seldom drink but this day called for many actually. First place I went was too busy andI never got served. I had to try 5 different drink choices from the the second places liquor menu before they had a drink they could make? Do not ask The $2.50 huge delicious salad almost made up for the fact I could only have 1 drink if I wanted to get up early, to hurry up and wait, on Sunday to try to get to Costa Rica. Please wish me luck on finally getting out of Matagalpa.
Saturday, December 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment